As the dessert for our Independence Day picnic, I made chocolate cherry cola cupcakes. I got the idea to do this from Better Homes and Gardens
, which calls their recipe "Fourth of July Cherry-Cola Cake", and instructs you to make it as a layer cake. The picture on BHG looks charming enough, but this picnic had to be portable, so I adjusted the recipe to make it into cupcakes, which were much easier to pack and serve. For the icing, I modified the "Quick White Icing" recipe from Joy of Cooking.
Chocolate Cherry Coke Cupcakes
1 Package 2-layer size Dutch chocolate cake mix
1 12oz Can Cherry Coke
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a cupcake pan with grease and flour or cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix according to instructions, but substitute liquid called for with Cherry Coke.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake 20-22 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before icing.
Cherry Coke Icing
12 oz (1 can) Cherry Coke
4 Cups (1 Pound) confectioners' sugar
1/2 Cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 tsp salt
- In a saucepan, reduce Cherry Coke until it is about 4 Tbs of thick liquid.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and butter and beat on medium speed.
- Add Coke and salt to butter and sugar and beat until smooth.
Notes: Most of the cherry flavor left the Coke during the reduction process, but the frosting still had a cola flavor. Next time, would add some cherry flavor.